UNITED KINGDOM – A fast acting kitty who alerted her owners to a house fire has been named Cat of the Year by an animal charity.
Tink jumped on top of Claire Hopkinson who had been sleeping in bed when an electrical fault sparked a fire at a neighboring property in Shrewsbury.
All of her family managed to get out of the house safely but Tink was overcome by the smoke and in the end, had to be revived by firefighters using a tiny oxygen mask.
“Without Tink we wouldn’t be here today,” stated Mrs Hopkinson.
She reflected on the night the drama unfolded while her husband Russell Hopkinson and their sons Jake and Scott were sleeping.
“Tink came up the stairs, jumped on my bed and woke us up. The bedroom was full of smoke.
“We all went out of the house and she remained inside.
“The firefighters had to run back in they brought her out draped over his arm.
“She was unconscious, she wasn’t breathing.
“They put on a little oxygen mask and finally she took a breath.
“Tink is a very valued family member she’s very precious to us
“Without Tink we wouldn’t been here today. It would have wrecked our lives if she had died in the fire.”
Tink was awarded Cat of the Year at the Cat’s Protection’s National Cat Awards, which was held at London’s Savoy Hotel on August 4, 2016.