And so, you are a cat person. That much you already know. In a choice between adopting an adorable labrador puppy and a tiny kitten, the kitten would always win.
But despite being a diehard cat fanatic, you don’t actually have one!
This complicates things a bit because a cat person is who you are. And can you truly be a cat person without a cat?
It’s a serious struggle – and one that only other cat-lovers who don’t have cats may understand. These are the things only cat-free cat people will understand.
1. You’re growing concerned about how much money you’re spend going to cat cafés
You need to top up your time spent with cats balance, otherwise, you’ll completely lose your sense of self.$14 for an hour of staring at lounging cats while drinking a cup of tea it is, then.
2. You’re in an eternal state of waiting for one of your friends with cats to go on a trip or a vacation and ask you to cat-sit
No, I don’t need money or even gifts. Just having your cat for a week will do.
3. You constantly feel you have to explain why you don’t have a cat right now
If you could, you might. It’s much more complicated than everyone telling you to ‘just get a cat, already’ can understand.
4. Your phone’s lock screen is currently a photo of someone else’s pet cat, and you know that’s a bit weird
You spent a few hours searching on Instagram to find a cat that felt like it could be yours.
It feels quite strange like taking a photo of someone else’s boyfriend and putting it in a locket. But you’re just going to completely ignore that feeling and enjoy the cuteness.
5. And you live in constant fear that you’ll one day meet the cat’s owner and they’ll see your phone
‘Why do you have a picture of my cat on your mobile phone? Are you obsessing over me?’
6. You somehow always find yourself joining in with people’s chats about their cats
And then you have to sit, awkwardly not less, as they ask about your cat, and you have to explain that you don’t actually have one.
It feels uncomfortable because you’ve just spent the last twelve minutes laughing hysterically about how annoying it is when cats decide to splash around in their water bowl.
7. You describe yourself as a cat lady, but you always feel like a bit of a fraud
Am I allowed to put ‘cat lady’ in my Twitter bio or not? Will people expect images of cats?
8. You begin to worry that people think you talk about cats a bit too much
If you just had a cat it wouldn’t be so weird.
9. And you’ve most definitely confused people by jumping into
conversations with cat-related expertise
Telling other people to put butter on their cats’ paws sounds a lot more legit coming from an actual cat-owner. Instead, you just sound like those who spend their days reading about cats on the internet… which is exactly what you do.
10. You’ve had to consciously convince yourself not to buy cat-themed magazines
No, you don’t need to know the best techniques for helping your cat feel calm on a visit to the vet because you don’t have a cat. Remember this.
11. Your Instagram is completely filled with cat-themed accounts
If you follow enough people who have cats, it’s kind of like you own a cat. Right?
12. But you somehow feel like an impostor when you share cat memes and quotes
You don’t have a cat, but you can surely still appreciate how annoying it is when they sit at the door meowing and then refuse to go outside when you open it.
13. You’re always on the look-out for cats when you’re outside walking around
It’s completely okay if you take a massive detour to meet up with the cat you saw last week.
14. You’re fiercely team cat in every single pet-related debate
However, at some point, you do have to come clean and admit you are not a true cat owner.
15. You’ve subconsciously designated special places in your house for a future cat
“I think that cozy area left empty near the bookshelf looks suspiciously cat-basket sized”.
16. And yes, your home does have a few cat-themed items!
“Please, don’t judge me for my fridge magnets”.
17. Everything is going to be all right because you know that one day you’ll get a cat and your very being will be complete.
Someday, you’ll be a cat person with a cat and everything will finally be right in the world.